Black and White With Oak + Ideas to Get the Look Now!

Yesterday I received my second vaccintation so I’m a little under the weather (a lot of us who had a hard time with the virus report this). Additionally, there are fresh cares in my world which task my personal resources so I’m leaning on everlasting arms and prayer. Hence, today’s post is a little random with its roundup of design inspiration and decor finds for folks who love neutrals and prefer to keep decor simple and clean. Let’s face it, color trends come and go, so why not bring in pops of what is trending while keeping the backdrop timeless? Black and White With Oak + Ideas to Get the Look provides plenty of texture and blurs the line between traditional and modern. And this winning combo often adds one more quality: CALM.

Black and white bathroom design with natural wood vanity and zellige tiles - design by Judith Balis. #blackandwhite #bathroomdesign #bathroomdecor
Design/Photo: @judith_balis

And calm is so welcome in 2021!

Black and White With Oak + Ideas to Get the Look Now!

Did you see this recent post which is less about a neutral interior color palette than the wonder of a house under 500 square feet (and designed by Jeffrey Dungan!)?

Tiny house design inspiration - come see more of this gorgeous low country style house with architecture by Jeffrey Dungan - by Retreat TN. #tinyhomes #housedesign #floorplan #tinyhousedesign
Learn more about this tiny house HERE
Modern farmhouse style kitchen with black, white, and natural accents. #modernfarmhouse #kitchendesign #blackandwhite
Design: Lauren Smyth Design & Andi Marshall Interiors; Photo: @judith_balis

In fact, let’s start straight away with wise ideas for calm. Brene Brown’s podcast is amazing, and I found this extremely helpful:

(PUSH PLAY)

Black kitchen cabinets with beadboard detail in a beautiful kitchen - @pattersoncustomhomes. #blackandwhite #kitchendesign #blackcabinets
@pattersoncustomhomes; Interior Designer: @brookewagnerdesign; Photo:: @ryangarvin
Inspirational quote and faith quote by Michele of Hello Lovely Studio. #faithquote #hellolovelystudio #contemplativequote #contemplativespirituality #spirituality
Quote about healing on Hello Lovely Studio. #healingquotes #inspirationalquotes
Prayer quote from Ann Voskamp on Hello Lovely Studio. #prayer #prayerquotes #faithquotes #annvoskamp
Encouragement quote from Ann Voskamp on Hello Lovely Studio. #inspirationaquotes #annvoskamp #faithquote #godquote
Inspirational quote to encourage from Iyanla Vanzant on Hello Lovely Studio. #inspirationalquote #iyanlavanzant #encouragement #personalgrowth #quotes #lifequote
Black and white interiors inspiration on hello lovely studio. #blackandwhite #interiordesign #decoratingideas
PIN me!

I independently selected products in this post—if you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.

A handmade sign reminds of trips to come for fresh from the farm goodness. (Here’s a wonderful way to support a small business!).

Farmers Market Sign Farmers Market Farmers Market Wood Sign image 0
Farmers Market Sign, TCBDesignsFL on Etsy

I love that this smart and rustic trunk comes in various sizes…how useful for smart looking storage!

Fresh Flower Market Wood Sign // Spring Decor // Flowers // image 5
Handmade Fresh Flower Market Sign, SugarKoatedSigns on Etsy
Funny humor quote on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #humor #funnyquote

Comfy Things to Wear at Home

Gypsy Shirt Stay Home Shirt Stay at Home Gypsy Shirt Social image 0
Stay at Home Gypsy Tee, Ketomomish on Etsy
Funny humor quote on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #humor #funnyquote

Just Add Fresh or Faux

For Your Fireplace

Layering Pieces

Classic white modern farmhouse interior design by Jaimee Rose Interiors. #interiordesign #modernfarmhouse #bathroomdesign

Turkish Blanket for Indoors & Out

Closet Organization Help

Black & White Finds

Inspirational quote about pandemic and covid19 on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #covid19 #therona

While this next find is neither black or white, it can actually add ‘natural’ to your makeup routine. (Or is ‘makeup routine’ so 2019 you want to smack me?) I especially appreciate how this water-light product evens my complexion!

Also I apply this with my fingers, not a brush, and it stays on all day!

Inspirational quote about beauty on Hello Lovely Studio. #beautyquote #inspirationalquotes #quotes

Sweet & Nostalgic

How fast can you pin this next silly pin?

Funny humor quote on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #humor #funnyquote

Ha!

Are your closets and pantries and shelves looking more orderly these days? I’m getting there slowly.

Funny humor quote on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #humor #funnyquote

Let’s Keep Encouraging Each Other

J. K. Rowling inspirational quote about rock bottom on Hello Lovely Studio. #jkrowling #quotes #struggle #success #quotes

Knowing what fresh concerns 2020 and 2021 have held, decor may be the furthest thing from your mind…or perhaps it is bringing a little bit of normalcy and pleasure to your days.

In either case, be gentle with yourself. Mixed feelings are completely normal and don’t define you.

Sherry Hart's gorgeous white kitchen in Atlanta. #whitekitchen #blackandwhitekitchen #kitchendesign
Design Indulgence

I Couldn’t Resist

These slant jars remind me of the penny candy store we frequented in childhood – I like storing treats like cookies and bars in mine.

Voltaire quote about happiness and health on Hello Lovely Studio. #quotes #voltaire #happinessquotes #healthquotes

Just a reminder to keep breathing. Really. In times of stress and anxiety, we may unconsciously hold the breath. And when I say “we,” I mean I tend to do this. Deep inhales from the belly…exhale all the pessimism and worry if you can.

Michele & Luna - Hello Lovely Studio.

We’re muddling through so much together, and unknown blessings are already on the way.

Psalm 61: When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me...#hellolovelystudio #psalm61 #scriptureverse #inspiringquote #anxiety #encouragement #faith #christianity

-michele

Shop for items you already intended to buy on Amazon RIGHT HERE (not just items in posts), and also find home decor here to keep decor inspiration flowing on Hello Lovely!

Hello Lovely is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

White Slipcovered Sofa
Bar Stool
Beachy White Slipcovered Sofa
Rattan Armchair
Diptyque Oyedo Candle
Cross Back Dining Chair
French Country Candle Holder
French Industrial Metal Chairs (4)
Designer Favorite Wall Mirror
Highback Armchair
Mini Pendant Light
White Vase Set
Round Woven Placemat Set
Cashmere Throw With Fringe
Black Bergamot Soy Candle
Fireclay Farm Sink (Reinhard, 30″)
White Waffle Coverlet
Light Grey Vienna Quilt
Boheme Madera Bench
Belgian Linen Duvet Set
Round Marble Side Table
Rustic Pedestal Farm Table
Rattan Hanging Chair Swing

1. Amy
    April 8, 2020 / 4:43 pm

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your blog during my newly found downtime. My husband and I are going to start painting our bedroom tomorrow and after much research are going with Benjamin Moore White! I was curious the finish you used? Your home is indeed…LOVELY! 😊

• Michele
      Author
      April 8, 2020 / 4:57 pm

Thanks, Amy! Nice to meet you. We used flat for walls and satin for baseboard and trim. If you are buying non-Benjamin Moore paint and have trouble having them mix the white, you can always just use Behr Ultra White off the shelf at Home Depot which also is a base without the undertones. Keep visiting me and dig in my archives (click THE ARCHIVES button at top of menu choices) to discover more inspiration!

2. Marilyn S.
    April 8, 2021 / 6:49 am

I love the way you take care of you…. In doing so you seamlessly help those around you take care of themselves. Getting my 2nd vaccine on the 15th. We didn’t have any bad effects from n the first ( thank you Jesus) good thing as we are endeavoring to train our brand new puppy – what were we thinking ???? It certainly isn’t as easy as it was 16 years ago when we brought our dear sweet (best dog in the universe) Phoebe home. But sadly Phoebe died back in January and as you know your house turns very quiet and extremely sad when that happens. Now we are enjoying, loving ,caring for ,and training – or trying very hard to our brand new bundle of ENERGY. She is a havanese like Phoebe and we named her……wait for it ……. Mia Belladorable and call her Bella or Bell or Bellsy Wellsy or Bella boo boo bear and on occasion we may refer to her as That Dog! Ain’t as easy at 61 as it was at 45 but she will be a great dog before we know it and has filled our house with noise , action and laughter once again.

• Michele
      Author
      April 8, 2021 / 10:51 am

What a lovely new chapter for you with Belladorable – surely this is just the type of new joy we all need to welcome into our homes and lives. While we haven’t welcomed a pet since Bellaluna, we are enjoying our sons’ kitty (Snoopy) and dog (Evie). I bet you’ll do just fine with your 2nd vax since the 1st went okay. I’m feeling a bit better today so that’s a relief! Thanks so much for adding to the beauty here.

3. Robin Ekblad
    April 8, 2021 / 10:08 am

Another beautiful post this morning! Thank you ❤️ I hope you start feeling better soon after the second shot. Also I, praying for challenges you are facing 🙏🏻 On another subject, are you familiar with Kelly and Co.? If not, I think you might enjoy her posts. She is on Instagram—she recently remodeled her home at Corona Del Mar here in California. What she has done to her home is pretty amazing. Wishing you all the best. ❤️

• Michele
      Author
      April 8, 2021 / 10:44 am

Thank you so much for your support and prayers – feeling a bit better this morning so onward and upwards! I will check out Kelly and Co. and am sending you peace right where you are. 🙂

4. Carole
    April 12, 2021 / 12:08 pm

Thank you for the Oak+ ideas… Perfect timing, Michele. My home is over 100 years old with original natural oak woodwork and I’m in the process of redecorating a couple rooms. I’m a bit more of the “Let’s up the ante.” kinda girl, rather than “Calm down.” Luckily, I love wicker with both, so we shall see. LOL Hope you’re better soon. My guess is you feel like enough is enough already! Being ‘down’ just takes too much energy.

• Michele
      Author
      April 12, 2021 / 10:15 pm

Ooooooh, sounds so amazing, Carole. New buyers love natural woodwork as much as my generation wanted to erase the brown with paint! How wonderful to celebrate its warmth, character, and patina. Thanks so much for the kind words – I have recovered and can now celebrate that I’m through the side effects. Getting lots of exercise now as we fix up a tiny house we bought a week ago. We fix up one little area, and it makes the balance of the place look so much worse – a virus for sure! 🙂

• Carole
        April 14, 2021 / 12:40 pm

Glad you’re out on the bright side, Michele!

Tiny house? I love the tiny house you featured on the 7th. Of course, with that location and landscaping and one more bedroom (somewhere) please. Can’t wait to hopefully see yours and hear the lessons you learn.

• Michele
          Author
          April 14, 2021 / 9:01 pm

Thanks! Oh that my little bungalow could look anything like that Jeff Dungan masterful low country luxe tiny mansion! Since this house needs to become a son’s temporary home, our fixing up is going to be in stages. So for 1.0, some of the ugly textured walls and ceilings have to stay, and we won’t upgrade every floor until 2.0. I am learning so much with each little project. Can’t wait to begin addressing the exterior!