When Swedish wall-art company Photowall asked me to take a peek at their highly customizable wallcoverings, the timing was truly divine. Today’s Grisaille PHOTOWALL Wallpaper Mural Accent Wall shows you how an afternoon DIY brought heavenly calm to a bedroom in our home.
Grisaille PHOTOWALL Wallpaper Mural Accent Wall
A second floor bedroom currently functioning as my office needed some love…big time.
I like the view of peaceful trees outside the window, but the blank white wall opposite my work table? Totally uninspiring.
Here is the space before we replaced the windows, painted walls Benjamin Moore “White” and upgraded the carpet:
But it needed finishing touches.
What a blessing to partner with Photowall, pretty up a simple white bedroom and offer you a 25% discount for your own project!
Why Choose PHOTOWALL?
This company uses only the highest quality materials and printing for their wallpaper.
Your wallpaper is printed to the exact dimensions to fit perfectly on your wall, and paste is included as well.
Murals can be pricey. Yet with the discount hellolovely2020, this customized pattern costs about $300 for a 12′ expanse of loveliness.
BONUS: After placing an order, your paper arrives in 1-2 days! So definitely don’t fret about the fact it’s a Swedish company!
A Grisaille Pattern Mural
The lovely wallpaper mural I chose? It is called Trees White, and the scene is an example of grisaille painting.
Pronounced griz-EYE, grisaille is French for “grey” and refers to an artist’s use of a limited palette.
The first layer of a painting (underpainting) is often created with grey.
What I admire about grisaille is its understated quality and quiet beauty. It adds a restful, contemplative quality to a bedroom (or any room!).
The online order process was a piece of cake, and it all arrived perfectly packaged!
How to Install the Wallpaper Mural
The video below demystified installing the mural’s clearly numbered vertical strips.
7 Tips for a Successful DIY Accent Wall
- Take time to consider whether to wallpaper the entire wall or above a chair rail. If there will be furniture against the wall, it may make sense to accent the upper wall.
- If your budget allows for the higher grade paper, go for it. I love the matte finish which is not reflective. Additionally, it is scubbable and extra strong.
- Order installation supplies when you order the paper…easy peasy.
- Make sure to not add more than one gallon of water to mix the paste. Add the water gradually as you mix, and give it a few minutes to thicken once it is smooth.
- Be patient getting the first panel pasted on the wall. The rest of the panels will line up with it.
- Brush each section of the wall with a generous amount of paste. If the paper isn’t sticking, brushing paste on the paper as well may help.
- One of my seams didn’t appear perfect 24 hours after installation. I was still able to easily tweak it with more paste and the seam roller.
Wallpaper Installation Kit
More Peeks at the Bedroom
I shopped my house to create a tranquil guest bedroom/workspace for myself. The abstract art is a piece I painted in 2010. While I mostly paint seascapes, this reflects a moody atmospheric desert moment.
The bed is a Midcentury estate sale find, but you can’t even see the low headboard! Color me pillow happy with a few favorites collected from RH!
Our rustic knotty alder interior doors replaced paper-y cheap white ones we inherited with this home.
Photowall provided the product for this post in exchange for my honest review, and I highly recommend their wonderful offerings, service and artistry.
Mural Wallpaper Review
I’m thrilled with how this mural enhanced my multipurpose space! The wallpaper introduces interest, nature, and artistry to a boring bedroom while harmonizing beautifully with towering trees outside.
How lovely to now have a sweet “tree house” workspace!
If you are seeking inspiration for a room in your own home, I’m confident you’ll find something to fancy from PHOTOWALL. You can even have a mural made from a photo!
I independently selected products in this post—if you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
Peace to you right where you are.
Hello Lovely is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.