FIXER UPPER Renovation With European Country Rustic Decor!

Find the UPDATED VERSION OF THIS POST RIGHT HERE!

French Country decor in a kitchen renovation by Fixer Upper's Joanna Gaines. #frenchcountry #kitchendesign #farmhousestyle
HGTV Fixer Upper renovation of Hot Sauce house for Ignacio family with European Country rustic decor.
Chip and Joanna Gaines
HGTV Fixer Upper renovation with European Country rustic decor

I’m crazy about this Fixer Upper renovation with European Country rustic decor for the Ignacio’s Hot Sauce house in Season 4, Episode 14. If you watch FIXER UPPER on HGTV, then you’re probably aware this is the last season for Chip and Joanna’s show in its current format. I’m a huge fan who just returned from Fixer Upper’s home base, Waco, Texas, where I visited Magnolia Market at the Silos, the bakery, Magnolia Table (their new restaurant!), and even their farmhouse (we drove by, and I’ll share pics later). My husband and I have been inspired by FIXER UPPER since its debut, and the two of us indeed had the guts to take on our own fixer upper in 2015, when we bought our current fixer of a home in the heartland and in 2016, when we completely made over a second home in the Southwest.

Last year, in season 4 of FIXER UPPER, viewers watched the Ignacio family relocate to Waco from California, and turn to Chip and Joanna to create their dream house by renovating an existing plain Jane country fixer known as THE HOT SAUCE HOUSE into a showstopping rustic Italian-inspired (I think “European-inspired country house” is more accurate) home. Did you happen to see this episode? This project of theirs is my favorite to date, and I wanted to share the before and after here to spread the reno love.

At the end of this post you’ll find some resources for paint colors, kitchen counter material, and stain!

What makes things extra fun for me (oh, yes, I am this blog-geeky) is when I am watching the show and I recognize furniture and home decor items I can share with readers in case they want to bring Joanna Gaines’ flavor of farmhouse style home. So what you will find weaved into this before and after farmhouse style post are some of the exact items (and a few things that come close) found in this project. (Affiliate links follow and when used for purchases may earn me a small commission.) Did you know the homeowners on the show do not get to keep the furnishings shown at the reveal without purchasing them? Yep. I wonder how many of them bite the bullet and buy the whole kit and caboodle?

Fixer Upper renovation with European Country rustic decor! {Hot Sauce House}

Kitchen

My favorite part about this amazing Fixer Upper renovation with European Country rustic decor is the kitchen/great room space which was created by converting the garage! I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen too many garage conversions as successful as this!

It looks like Joanna used these popular Bolton lanterns from Pottery Barn.

Image result for pottery barn bolton indoor lantern #indoorlantern #lanternpendant
Pottery Barn Bolton Indoor Lantern

Here is a another slightly more modern farmhouse style lantern pendant:

Didmarton 3-Light Foyer Pendant #lantern #pendantlight #farmhousestyle
3-Light Boxy Lantern Pendant: FIND HERE

This oil rubbed bronze kitchen faucet is very similar to the one in Joanna’s design:

Brantford Pull Down Single Handle Kitchen Faucet with Reflex System
Oil Rubbed Bronze Kitchen Faucet: FIND HERE

And I think I like the following oversized wall clock even more than the one in this space:

Oversized Rustic Wood 24" Wall Clock #rusticdecor #wallclock
Oversized Rustic Wood Wall Clock: FIND HERE

Fixer Upper renovation with European Country rustic decor: Exterior

If you like the rocking chairs Joanna chose for the Ignacio front porch, you may like these similar chairs:

Char-Log Single Rocking Chair I
Rocking Chair: FIND HERE   A Favorite FIXER UPPER Renovation With European Country Decor!

I am nuts for the arched rustic wood door with the little window..what do you think?

It is slightly reminiscent of my own front door with its walnut stain:

Pacific Entries 36 in. x 80 in. Rustic Arched 2-Panel V-Groove Stained Knotty Alder Wood Prehung Front Door
Pacific Entries Rustic Arched 2-Panel Exterior Door with Speakeasy: FIND HERE

Laundry Room

Another space in the home I loved was the laundry room with this simple country sink, farmhouse pendant, and stenciled or handpainted design on the white brick.

If you like this look, I found the exact fixtures! Yay! Here’s the country sink…

And the wall mount faucet for the sink in the Ignacio project…

Vintage Double Handle Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet
Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Mount Faucet: FIND HERE

And in case you want instant gratification with a rub-on whimsical design for the wall…

Laundry Room Wash Dry Fold Repeat Vinyl Wall Decal
Laundry Room Rub On Decal: FIND HERE

Living Room

If you like the look of the mirror, I have you covered.

Minerva Wall Mirror #roundmirror #modernfarmhouse #farmhousemirror
Round Modern Farmhouse Mirror: FIND HERE

Dining Room

This next photo featuring an unfortunate wallpaper border explains why this fixer was named HOT SAUCE HOUSE….

Arched Panel Mirror
Arched Wood Leaner Mirror: FIND HERE

Powder Room

The garage area was so large that the Gaines’ were able to design a kitchen, family room, game room, and a powder room in the footprint. The powder room bath is soooooo charming, and if you like the look, you can steal it!

The mirror in here is SUPER popular for interior designers – Sarah Richardson uses it over and over, and that’s good enough for me!

Here’s the exact mirror Joanna used for the powder room bathroom;

Wood Accent Mirror #FrenchCountry #Frenchmirror #ovalmirror
Wood Accent Mirror: FIND HERE
Ceramic Square Vessel Bathroom Sink #farmsink #vesselsink #bathroomsink
Vessel Sink: FIND HERE
Spout Wall Mount Vessel/Lavatory Faucet
Wall Mount Oil Rubbed Bronze Faucet: FIND HERE

Great Room

Ring With Candle Style Rustic Chandelier
Ring With Candle Style Chandelier: FIND HERE

In the family room, Clint of Harp Studio created this incredible custom tall armoire cabinet with mirrored front doors.

Kitchen Before and After

I think the pitcher in the kitchen above is a vintage one Joanna found for the Ignacios, but you can snag something similar like this beauty:

Maze Pitcher #stoneware #pitcher #creamware
Stoneware Pitcher: FIND HERE

The source of the beautiful handpainted tile backsplash behind the range? Arabesque 8 in. Winslet Blend (Bottega Design Gallery)…if it isn’t available, may I suggest something subdued and tranquil like this…

Jadida 8" x 8" Cement Patterned Tile in White/Gray
White and Grey Cement Tile: FIND HERE

Do you love the light grey painted kitchen cabinetry!?! And the bleached, raw, look of the wood on the island is so pleasing to my eye with the cool grey.

Four Hands Kensington Swivel Wing Chair, Jette Linen, Chairs,Fabric #wingchair #linenchair
Linen Swivel Wing Chair: FIND HERE

Mud Room

Navy Hunter Rain Boots + Winter Coat Sale - Katie's Bliss
Hunter Boots: FIND HERE (Photo: via Kate’s Bliss)
Fixer Upper Chip and Joanna Gaines in the Ignacio kitchen for Fixer Upper.
They’re so adorable!

More Resources:

Kitchen Counters – Calcutta “Sienna” 3 cm (Design Superstore)

Kitchen Backsplash – Arabesque 8 in. Winslet Blend (Bottega Design Gallery)

Kitchen Island Stain – Minwax “Provincial”, “True Gray” (Lowe’s)

Kitchen Cabinet Handles – Allison Value Hardware 12/5″ Center to Center Handle Appliance Pull (Amerock BP55247); Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish (Build.com)

Bathroom and Laundry Room Tile Flooring – Saltillo – “Cotta Dark” 12″x12″ Octagon w/ 5×5″ Square Pattern (Arto Design)

Laundry Room Cabinet and Kitchen Cabinet Paint – Intellectual Gray, ProMar® 200 Interior Waterbased Acrylic-Alkyd Paint, Satin Finish (Sherwin Williams)

Laundry Room Cabinet Handle – Venetian Bronze Cottage 5 Inch Center to Center Handle Cabinet Pull; SKU: BCI1572197 (Build.com)

Interior Wall Paint – Blanched, Interior, Eggshell Finish (Joanna’s Paint Line)

Image result for blanched joanna gaines paint color

Read my tips for preparing for a visit to Magnolia Market at the Silos in Waco!

-michele

This post contains affiliate links which I hope you will use since they won’t cost you a penny extra yet may earn this blog a small commission.

I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. An easy way to support HELLO LOVELY? Start RIGHT HERE to SHOP for items on Amazon (anything at all – not just products mentioned in the post!) you already intended to buy…it won’t cost a
penny extra yet may earn this blog a few pennies when my link is the first you click!
You’ll also find a wealth of friendly priced furniture and decor for your home
HERE.

1. March 13, 2018 / 2:41 pm

Just beautiful! Can you believe how wonderful this came out? I can only WISH!
    Have a good afternoon. Leticia

March 13, 2018 / 5:20 pm

Thanks for reading and adding to the beauty, Leticia. 🙂

2. Tracy
    March 13, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Thanks for the post. We’re going to Waco next weekend, never been there. Got off on your side bar with Annie Brahler. Yes! I remember her and her home. Weren’t you just sick when Mary Engelbreit discontinued Home Companion?! I was!! The homes she showcased were delicious! Anyway thanks for the Waco post and for sending me down memory lane.

March 13, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Hi Tracy! I’m working on my Magnolia post right now so I hope you’ll tune it for it. I was sooooo sad when Home Companion went away, yes! I collected every Mary Engelbreit calendar and everything Mary for years. She has always been an inspiration. Have a wonderful visit. 🙂

3. Donna
    March 14, 2018 / 7:21 am

Thanks so much, just saw this episode last night! Joanna often uses rustic candlesticks on her mantles which she used in this house…do you have a source for those? Thx

4. Rhonda
    March 14, 2018 / 11:09 am

I’ve been a Fixer Upper fan since the beginning. The kitchen island above with the drawers is dreamy. And, I love the front door, it looks like the little window can be opened from the inside, how clever is that?! With the use of vintage doors Joanna incorporates often, her renos never scream “new.”

Great sourcing, Michele. I helped renovate a kitchen in a friend’s lakehouse and used the American Standard sink above. I can’t say enough about it…great quality and gorgeous! Thanks for the Annie Brahler link…that was featured before I was introduced to Hello Lovely!

March 14, 2018 / 11:30 am

Rhonda, thanks so much for the feedback about that American Standard country sink–it has been on my wish list for decades, and it’s great to hear a firsthand account. Keep digging in Hello Lovely’s archives for treasure! 🙂

5. March 14, 2018 / 2:00 pm

Chip $ Joanna rock!!! I’m loving that huge island and lanterns but I also love a farm table in place of an island. In any case, the transformation of this home is remarkable!! Thanks for sharing!

March 14, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Ya know, that farm table in lieu of a big island would be a great way to get this look for a lot less money, oui? Thanks for reading, Holly!

6. What a great, comprehensive post. You must have spent hours finding all those resources! I have tried and failed to find some tile I loved from one of their shows. I even sent them a message asking for the source but got no reply. I too am a HUGE Fixer Upper fan, especially because I do that for a living myself and find inspiration in what they do. I’m sad they won’t be doing new shows after this season and hope they return after the birth of their new baby. How lucky you were to get to go to Waco and visit The Silos. I’m jealous!

March 14, 2018 / 5:23 pm

Hi Celia! It actually didn’t take me very long to find these resources because I am immersed in decor so much every day that I have begun to instantly recognize items on the show and in images around the web! I love that you are a real life renovator – my husband and I have been renovating for decades and it’s like a virus – we love it! If you email me a photo or can give me more info about the episode, I may be able to source that tile for you.Stay tuned for the Magnolia scoop!

7. Tina
    April 22, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I am building a gouse and want to copy this house . What color is the island and cabinets? I would love to get a backsplash like she used. Any ideas?

April 22, 2018 / 9:03 pm

Hi Tina! I am SO glad you asked because I have wondered too, and I took some time to search the internet for answers! Okay. Here you go:

Stain on island: Minwwax “Provincial” in True Gray
      Cabinet Color: Sherwin Williams Intellectual Gray in ProMar 200 Waterbased Acrylic – Satin Finish
      Walls: Blanched by Magnolia Homes
      Trim: Sherwin Williams Intellectual Gray
      countertop: appears to be Caesarstone’s Calacatta Nuovo

Hope this helps – keep bringing your questions, and please PIN as much as possible to keep the traffic coming! 🙂

April 22, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Oops. Here is the correct countertop material: Calcutta “Sienna” 3 cm (Design Superstore)

And the backsplash…apparently it is Arabesque 8 in. Winslet Blend (Bottega Design Gallery); however, I couldn’t find it at Bottega’s site. Here is a gorgeous alternative with light grey, and it’s a handmade cement tile I love: http://fxo.co/5VD3.

8. Angela Gillmore
    May 12, 2018 / 12:28 pm

Thank you so much for this! We are currently building and I want to copy many of the same colors, etc. for the island and cabinets. Would you happen to know the tile that she has on her inspiration board at the very beginning of her post? It’s the whitish tile with the cross in the center. I would love to incorporate this into our kitchen backsplash.

May 12, 2018 / 4:17 pm

How exciting! What a gorgeous tile on that mood board! I am guessing it is a handmade tile from Bottega Design Gallery. I’ll work on it. I need to update that post anyway! 🙂

9. Ronnie
    May 19, 2018 / 6:00 pm

Do you know by chance the exterior paint color and trim

May 19, 2018 / 7:13 pm

I haven’t found the exact color, but I have a hunch it is one of the colors from Joanna’s paint line. I added an infographic at the end of the post which lists her favorite paint colors used on Fixer Upper – I think there’s a good chance it’s one of these swatches. The line is from Kilz. If you go back to the post, you should see the update. Hope this helps! 🙂

10. Paula Gourdine
    May 30, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Hello Michele and thank you so much for this post!
    I absolutely love this kitchen. We bought a house two years ago and havent moved into it because I couldn’t decide what kitchen I wanted. I’m totally sure now that this is what I want to do but my problem is that I can’t find the color of the island with the brand we picked. Do you happened to know which color is this in Kraftmaid? Any help will be greatly appreciated! We really need to move in as soon as possible and I have an appointment to pay for the cabinets on Saturday. Thanks again!!!

11. Michele Jasper
    June 22, 2018 / 8:21 pm

I didn’t actually see this episode, but I am looking for that island. Was it purchased or built? I have run through the usual vendors and can’t find anything quite like it. If they purchased, any ideas on where to find it?

June 22, 2018 / 11:22 pm

The island appears to be custom or semi-custom, made from a series of base cabinets with the same recessed fronts as the rest of the kitchen cabinetry. Not sure what cabinet maker Magnolia works with, but the door style is a common one. For our own Shaker style kitchen cabinets, we used Schuler (schulercabinetry.com – they made cabinets for designer Sarah Richardson, so that was good enough for me!). You could always start with them, sharing the photo of the island for reference. 🙂

12. Shernel Alphonse
    November 1, 2018 / 9:05 am

Hi Michelle

We are working on our first fixer upper project and coincidentally we are using the Hotsauce house as inspiration. Do you know by any chance where they may have purchased the copper metal wall decor in the great room? I have seen some variations but none quite as intricate. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

November 1, 2018 / 11:56 am

How exciting! Oh I love the Ignacio’s house so much and think it was Chip and Joanna’s best project. I have not seen that exact metal wall decor, and it seems it is difficult to find those pieces with the proper scale, right? I have some similar very old, heavy architectural remnants from France which I have used as wall decor so my first choice would be to direct you to architectural salvage. But if you were willing to achieve a similar effect with multiple pieces even temporarily until you find the perfect ones – there are inexpensive options which could be customized with color/arrangement right here: https://bit.ly/2DhuolG. Keep me posted on what you decide, and I’ll keep my eyes peeled. 🙂

13. Shelly
    November 7, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Okay so I’m loving the island stain color and realize it’s SW provincial mixed with Lowe’s True Gray. How would I tell my painter to do this without an exact formula? Thinking this would look great on my bathroom vanities!

November 7, 2018 / 11:02 pm

You need to test it out on some samples of the wood. Try mixing equal parts of the stains than notice if you need more of one or the other, etc. and keep track of the proportions til you arrive at the look you like. xox

14. Tammy
    December 31, 2018 / 8:02 am

Hi – I absolutely love this house. We are building now and want this exact color scheme. Do you know the exterior paint color and most importantly, the color of the new windows? They look like Portobello from Pella, but could be brown? Hope you can help! Thanks

December 31, 2018 / 10:37 am

I could not find sources for them – but you should definitely check out the Magnolia paint line since Joanna tends to use her favorite colors over and over.

15. Antonette
    February 17, 2019 / 5:45 pm

I’m hoping you have the source for the metal railing on the stairway in the Hot sauce house. Thank you!

February 18, 2019 / 9:32 am

From watching the show, it appears Magnolia uses local, go-to custom metal fabricators on their projects…emailing Magnolia is probably your best bet!

16. Shana
    March 23, 2019 / 5:05 pm

Thank you so much for this! I have loved this house since it first aired and now that we’re redoing our kitchen and the episode just aired again, I went on a search for the kitchen cabinet and wall colors… and found your site! I’m a new fan now!

March 23, 2019 / 7:38 pm

So happy to have you here – welcome, and do dig into the archives! 🙂