Holiday Decor: My Passion for Pom Poms

Obsessed with tufted wool pom pom holiday wreaths
since spying an Anthropologie one a few seasons back,
I was determined to create my own this year.

The pom pom making led to the birth of more fluffy wreaths
like the one above, and I do believe I have crossed over
to the LIGHT SIDE of cozylovely woolen goodness.

I like that my fluffy wreaths are more ‘hushed wintry decor’ without
shouting ‘Look at me, I’m friggin CHRISTMASY up in here!’

They whisper ‘peace to you…let’s cozy on down.’

I make my pom poms the old fashioned way…I think.

right at home on an old grey toolbox

No pom pom makers, no mass production, no sweat shop.
Just me little hands and the wrapping, wrapping of woolen yarn
round and round a simple piece of cardboard.

a few of my favorite textures together

I sold several of these in my etsy shop.
They aren’t perfect, and they aren’t cheap because of the labor.
I begin by wrapping tenderly bandaging the wreath form with Shabby Chic natural linen before attaching
two sizes of pom poms to the front.

The one above is faux sheepy fur and beribboned with blush
pink poplin fabric by Barbara Barry…I painted the farmhouse-y
child’s chair in a similar shade and just loved how it
sang to me in freshly fallen snow.

on my dresser

The wreaths are simple, imperfect and whimsical
without the xmas-tacky factor…no small feat.

I just may put together a tutorial…something I never do

because those bad boys are challenging AND time stealers.

And yet.

A video where I’m weirdly improvising and muddling through

a demo irreverently just might spread some holiday cheer.

Peace and love to you, right where you are.

1. November 18, 2014 / 7:13 pm

I love those they are so sweet, I hope you are doing well!

• November 18, 2014 / 9:16 pm

thanks, karolyn. making pom poms is good therapy 🙂

2. November 18, 2014 / 9:18 pm

Oh my gosh Michele, they are just wonderful! So pretty and soft, and i don't think they are that expensive for what they are. Pretty much the cutest wreath ever…

Cindy

• November 19, 2014 / 3:38 am

i was hoping you would approve, sista cindy. they have your name written all over them…charming, cozy, and shabby lovely. merci!

3. November 19, 2014 / 1:16 am

These pics are incredible…they belong on the cover of a magazine and you know cozy is my middle name…cozy never looked so pretty! They are gorgeous!

• November 19, 2014 / 3:39 am

oh tina, you made my night. thanks, classy mama. i'm so glad you like.

• November 19, 2014 / 3:39 am

thanks, lisa! i live to create so it's all so much fun.

4. November 19, 2014 / 4:58 am

Michele, These are so pretty and I love your description of them! I put them up on my blog:)

• November 19, 2014 / 9:18 pm

so flattered. thanks so much for spreading the love, leslie! i love your beautiful site.

5. November 19, 2014 / 5:20 pm

Oh my gosh! Michele, I LOVE these. Perfectly cozy and happy on this freezing cold not-even-winter-yet day. I think they would be perfect in a bedroom or bath. You are so creative and crafty, my friend. I'm so impressed!!!! XOXO

• November 19, 2014 / 9:19 pm

thanks, jeanne! i agree and like the pom pom one best on my dresser. i have been making these pom poms prob since before you were born!

• November 20, 2014 / 4:10 pm

baby, it's cold outside! which just makes decorating more meaningful.

6. November 20, 2014 / 3:36 pm

These are so beautiful!! I do love pom poms. The wreath is exquisite, perfect for the season. You can tell a lot of time and love goes into these, so splendid. Thank you for visiting my blog, I appreciate it, you have a beautiful blog. I hope your week is going wonderfully 🙂 xx Kizzy.

• November 20, 2014 / 4:12 pm

merci, kizzy…you, of the most exquisitiely lovely name on the planet! right back at ya.

7. November 20, 2014 / 3:54 pm

Gorgeous! I have been planing to make myself one this year too. Now I really must get started because I must have one like right now! LOL.

• November 20, 2014 / 4:12 pm

ha! yes. TIME TO MAKE THE POM POMS! thanks, robin.

8. November 20, 2014 / 8:47 pm

Why am I not surprised that you loved those Anthropologie pom pom wreaths? I have been in love with those since I first saw them …and I'm so happy you've crossed over to the light side of woolen goodness ..(.hahaha you're so clever) the results are amazing!

9. November 21, 2014 / 12:46 am

These are wonderful, Michele…just love the texture of the pom poms – would love to see a tutorial!

10. November 21, 2014 / 1:09 am

I adore your pom-pom wreath, Michele! It has such a warm and cozy look.
    Mary Alice

11. November 21, 2014 / 4:17 am

Oh lady "M" you are divinely talented here with wooley Pom pom's….I have never made a Pom Pom and seeing yours makes me want to tackle one of my own.
    I love and adore the sweet chill of your softly pink painted chair in the snow with a warm cozy wreath sitting as a seat warmer.

Beautiful work my dear, and I am going to go look at them in your shop!

See you soon ….. lovely Pom Pom.

Xoxo