All White Decor…Almost

Modern interior design in a white on white room with white sofa and abstract painting. #allwhitedecor

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost

My love affair with white paint, white decor, white furniture, and white fashion endures in our current home and goes way back, maybe to treasured white gogo boots from my kindergarten fashion days. Did you see yesterday’s shabby chic goodness blessed with lovely white in droves?

White has never bored me, never reminded me of anything undesirable. It’s clean, crisp sheets, billowy clouds, and waves breaking at my feet. Even white food delights me. Please pass the buttercream iced wedding cake upon the white platter. Watch me happily count out cash for that white vintage ironstone pitcher at the antique mall and the creamy linen shift dress with pockets. See my joy soar when a white stretched canvas is set before me. Nope. White does not get old for me. Rather, its timelesslness and understated beauty has lifted my spirits, turned my thoughts toward purity, inspired collections, and lightened the burden of darkish days. White reflects my inner world and hopes more than any other hue and feels like heavenly home to my soul. All of my family members know that when a paintbrush dripping with white paint is in my hand, all is well or on its way to wellness.

But I am aware white does not affect us all equally. I have friends who want their homes dressed in any color but white, which they deem too sterile. I know folks who actually feel jittery in a room with white decor and wonder how anyone could tolerate housekeeping duties in a white space clean or be crazy enough to aspire to! I know this because I live in the Midwest where straight shooting folks speak directly about such matters. They’ll say “Not in my house with my people! All this white would never work.” Or “I could never keep it tidy…it’s just not forgiving.” I, on the other hand, find such white-phobia intriguing and wonder about how the other half must be living in their safer-from-stains-that-show, non-white abodes…is marinara regularly splashed around the place? Do muddy tolddlers or chimney sweeps routinely schmear dark toned walls and forgiving mottled carpets? (Yep. This is how my mind works.)

As the lightest color, white signifies purity, innocence, and integrity. More of the color psychology which offers clarity about white via

“It was worn, even from antiquity, by high priests or in very important rituals. It is still a imperative color in the marriage process, used to depict the purity of the future wife. It is considered to represent perfection, as it is the purest and most complete color. It is the color that represents new begging and erases any trace of past actions. It is like a piece of white paper not being written yet. It leaves the mind open and free to whatever it might create in the way.”

I am keen to the idea of white being the most complete color since my love for white makes perfect sense when I consider my deepest longing for integration–an integrative consciousness without compartmentalization or splitting. A feeling of fullness, wholeness, and harmony. Since white has an equal amounts of all the colors within the spectrum, it contains the positive and negatives of them all, holding them in neutrality. When I consider this psychology according to my own spiritual journey, I find so much commonality. Growing in the spirit often encompasses an expanded capacity to hold paradoxes (or what appear to be paradoxes) without the need to split everything in two. Nondual thinking, nondual awareness, nondual relating to the universe.

Perhaps my fondness for white has grown both as a result of my search for my identity as a young person and my release of that identity and ego as my age increases. Can you draw a similar parallel to your own color preferences?

Affiliate links follow and when used for purchases may result in a small commission for me.

All white decor in a modern bohemian minimal rustic living room with surfboard and natural accents. #allwhitedecor

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Remodelista)

Serene all white decor in a bathroom with double doors and gold accents. #allwhitedecor

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost

Another favorite clean-lined design by Claudia Zinzan of Father Rabbit features a shallow open closet.#minimaldesign #whitebedroom #slowliving

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Remodelista)

Serene white kitchen with pot rack and copper pans. Minimal, modern, natural and rustic. #slowliving #serene

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Remodelista)

maisonsblanches: “credit: saramedinalind ”

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Remodelista)

maisonsblanches: “credit: interiormilk ”

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Interiormilk)

maisonsblanches: “credit: sfgirlbybay ”

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via SFGirlbyBay)

Designer Michaela Scherrer entirely sticks to shades of white in her own Pasadena, California, home—see the Remodelista book for a full exploration. In our post DIY Paint, Scherrer explains how she carefully mixes her palette. Photograph by Matthew Williams for Remodelista. #whitebedroom #serenedecor

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost(via Remodelista)

maisonsblanches: “credit: trineroed ”

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Trinerroed)

Chunky Throw

Ivory Chunky Knit Throw

Found at ~ lovely!

@janisfaye instagram. Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture Store. White decor.

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Rachel Ashwell)

Simple Sectional Sofa #whitesofa

White Denim Sectional Sofa Designed by Rachel Ashwell

Curvy white chaise with sexy modern floor lamp in elegant room with glossy white floor. Bom-chicka-wah-wah!

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (source unknown)

Serene, ethereal, tranquil, neutral, calm, modern, minimal, classic, sophisticated, rustic elegant bedroom design with sumptuous natural linens, a subdued art gallery wall, a warm light grey paint on walls, brass sconce, and rustic 3 leg stool. #slowliving #simplehomedecor #neutraldecor #whitebedroom

See this Stockholm apartment/Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Trendenser)

Envers du Decor. #serenedecor #cozyhome #allwhite

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via enversdudecor)

Smita Patel, a documentary maker for BBC Radio, lives in a beautiful double-fronted late Victorian house in Peckham, near Nunhead Green. It is a masterclass in calming neutral tones and a minimalist approach to living in a Victorian space. We caught up with Smita to find out more about her home. Wha

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Smita Patel)

Red Chair Hudson home_bedroom_Marili Forastieri

See the rest of this apartment! Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Remodelista)

See the rest of Calvin Klein’s interiors. Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Axel Vervoordt)

A serene white bedroom with natural linen decor. #allwhite

Decor Inspiration: All White Decor…Almost (via Keltainentallorannalla)

I would love to hear about the emotions and thoughts these interiors evoke for you.

1. March 4, 2018 / 5:22 am

Michele – i totally, completely, 110% echo your sentiment for the love of white. In all of it’s shades, the variety of soft soothing decorating styles, and clean fresh versatility, white is the color for me. Hands down this is my go-to palette. What a beautiful representation of this most beautiful color!

• March 4, 2018 / 10:33 am

You use white so beautifully, Joan. It’s a powerful hue! 🙂

2. Alice Genzlinger
    March 4, 2018 / 6:28 am

I am a color lover BUT, it’s soft color. I despise houses that have wood trims all left natural. It becomes part of the decoration in the house and changes the flow. White melts into the room and doesn’t draw the eye to the first thing you see when you walk into a room. When we moved into this house everthing in the house was brown, black and beige. I hated it. Even shag carpet in the kitchen! I am a Southern girl and immediately I stared removing the curtain, flooring and tile into a white or light color. I have had the previous owner visit the house recently and they complemented me in the openness and light poring into the house and that when we sell to let him know. Thing is we had not added new windows or tore down walls. It was all done with paint and tile.

• March 4, 2018 / 10:32 am

I know what you mean about how trim can detract rather than enhance. I love how so many designers are leaving it off entirely for a more airy, unfussy look. Your transformation sounds intriguing, and how incredible that the previous owner would even buy it back! Now that’s a testament to your skill and keen eye! 🙂

3. Joanna
    March 4, 2018 / 10:11 am

While I love white decor, I find minimal white decor too stark. I love the curved, chair with the chunky throw and old books. It tells a story, whereas the others leave me wanting – they’re blank. I scroll over them not wanting to stop and linger.

• March 4, 2018 / 10:30 am

Such an interesting discussion, Joanna. Perhaps black and white is so concrete, it leaves little space for abstract imagining which colors evoke. Thanks for adding to the beauty, friend.

4. March 4, 2018 / 10:40 am

So pretty Michele. I’ve been to the Rachel Ashwell store in LA and it’s incredible. Her couches are gorgeous and I want one of her white sectionals! They are pricey though so I’ve also looked at the one from PB. There are also some on Wayfair however I’m concerned that the quality might not be good. Enjoy your day!

• March 4, 2018 / 11:10 pm

Yes! One of her sectionals! Direct me to the clearance section of shabby chic brand sectionals, s’il vous plait! Let’s go stay at the Prairie in Round Top and be sofa testers! 😉

5. March 4, 2018 / 12:25 pm

I am a lover of “almost” white as well. I do have some pale aqua and Swedish grey in the mix.
    I love white floors and upholstery the most. I don’t know why people think they have to have dark floors in a white room for balance. I could never paint my floors black or dark brown or use hardwoods in those colors. I know a lot of people, especially men, won’t walk into a white room and sit down. I have had guests refuse to sit down until I told them that everything white in the room was washable including the upholstery. There are so many wonderful performance fabrics in white that families with dogs and children really don’t have to exclude white in their homes. I have had white upholstery for at least 25 years. For our beloved tomcat I put a white towel on the sofa and he knows he is to sleep on the towel. My upholstery is not slip covered but actually upholstered with the performance fabric. I have never had any cleaning problems with white upholstery and bed linens ever. I echo every adjective, adverb and sentence in your post of the emotional feeling of living with white. I am a late in life switcher to white as I do admit that when I first was married I was a color person but wanted to change the colors all the time. Long live the white home!!

• March 4, 2018 / 11:06 pm

Love hearing about your journey to white, Colleen. And what a good boy Ascot is! I have also never had any nightmares with living with white. Shortly after I bought the Belgian linen egg chair, our son Luke sat down with a glass of red wine and somehow that wine ended up baptising the chair…and even that wasn’t the end of the world. I spot cleaned it, and there isn’t a spot on it. With white, you simply get to SEE what needs attention, and I see no downside in that. Thanks for adding to the beauty here, friend.

6. Mary
    March 4, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Your writing style is so much fun to read. Big smile on my face at the mention of treasured Gogo boots. It was the fourth grade for me, and all of us little girls faithfully wore them to school, making a clatter on those green and white checkerboard tiled floors in our classrooms and halls. What a hilarious memory, so thanks for that, Michele! I have grown much more fond of white. I am ditching an ivory color as I contemplate a repainting of my first floor. Your advice on this prompted me to reexamine options. Am going with SW Alabaster on all walls. Brighter, cleaner than ivory and will feel fresh and clean. Simple, peaceful, soft. Thanks for the inspiration and renewed decor philosophy. My style is morphing from traditional (dare I admit Williamsburg, which I DO love) to a less formal, casual, WHITE atmosphere. The challenge is exciting.

• March 4, 2018 / 11:02 pm

You’re so fun, Mary! I have the best memories of those gogo boots in my Bobby Sherman days! Can’t wait to hear about the evolution of your walls from ivory to alabaster. I hope you love it. White is so elegant, no matter the decor style, isn’t it?