9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall

Vibrant red accents in an art filled farmhouse of Oberto Gili in northwest Italy

I’m told a simple glance at the clothing in my closet will reveal the colors I’ll like living with in the rooms of my home, but somehow there are contradictions for this white-loving blogger of the red wellies and red plaid Madewell tunics. I like wearing red in fall and winter yet can’t seem to live peacefully with the color in my home decor. I have tried. I love seeing it in homes on the web (exhibit A: the Italian farmhouse above which belongs to photographer Oberto Gili!)

For longtime readers of Hello Lovely, you may remember my studio with its swing in our prior home welcomed some red for a season:

White leather loveseat with red and white stripe pillows in a studio with swing by Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Red Stripes in a Studio by Hello Lovely Studio

It’s curious. The color red mostly gets on my nerves during the holidays yet deliciously fills up my senses in autumn. Do you love it? Enjoy fall inspiration in the form of 9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall…beginning with:

Beautiful chocolate cake with red berries, champagne, and red and white stripes - Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

Juicy-ripe red of strawberries upon my chocolate cake (here’s the recipe and story!).

Red barn in fall by Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

This rich russet red vertical siding on a barn at the apple orchard near my Northern Illinois home inspires me every fall with its nostalgia and timelessness.

Early Beauty apples in fall by Hello Lovely Studio

Photo: Hello Lovely Studio

The gold and rosy red Early Beauty apples to my eyes are studies in gorgeous abstract art from nature.

Red fall tree by Hello Lovely Studio

Photo: Hello Lovely Studio

Is there anything that speaks fall quite like a tree with flaming crimson turning leaves putting on a show before they let go?

Red Hunter boots, plaid scarf, and French prayer chair in farmhouse entry - Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

Vibrant and glossy red Wellies near the front door are so fun for the rain or mud.

Red climbing vines on Paris Hotel by Hello Lovely Studio

Photo: Hello Lovely Studio

The pinky-reds of climbing vines in Paris took my breath away, and Pavillon de la Reine is blissfully blessed with red.

Fall red in a Paris garden by Hello Lovely Studio

Photo: Hello Lovely Studio

I wish I could say the electric red beauties above are blooming in my garden…sigh, I am just learning the art now in midlife.

Red car outside of Merci store in Paris by Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

A sweet tomato red on a wee car outside of the Merci store in Paris brought smiles to every entering customer and inspires thoughts of an autumnal road trip!

Bold red wall in Merci store in Paris by Hello Lovely Studio

Photo: Hello Lovely Studio

Even a bold red painted wall inspires warm thoughts of fall, when the air turns crisper, and it just feels right to add warm decor to our interior spaces.

Red barn in fall by Hello Lovely Studio

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

Black Converse in red fallen leaves in Paris

9 Inspiring Shades of Red for Fall: Hello Lovely Studio

Do you wear or decorate much with red?

1. November 11, 2017 / 9:14 pm

I LOVE RED during the holidays. Otherwise, wearing it is overpowering for me as a blonde, blue-eyed woman.
    But, I do love it. I have a huge painting in my breakfast room of a cut watermelon on black. I never tire of it. I have an entire winter wardrobe in RED. You should too. It’s seriously so much fun this time of the year. xx’s

• michele
      Author
      November 11, 2017 / 11:39 pm

You are selling us on red magnificently, Marsha. 🙂

2. Carol
    November 12, 2017 / 7:57 am

I usually use non traditional colors for the holidays, but I’m certainly going to try a little red this year. I love a red plaid scarf to wear . So festive. Other than that, I really don’t wear red.

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:44 pm

We sound a lot alike, Carol! xox

3. Alice Genzlinget
    November 12, 2017 / 8:00 am

Love red in all seasons but especially at Christmas time . The red reminds me that JESUS Christ shed his blood for me and the green reminds me that He is alive and sits at the right hand of God interceding on my behalf. Thank God JESUS CHRIST obeyed his father and that the grave is empty.

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:29 pm

Now there’s a passionate response to red! Thanks for sharing your heart, Alice, it’s beautiful in there. 🙂

4. Claire
    November 12, 2017 / 8:14 am

I love red geraniums in summer, red maple tree leaves in fall, red poinsettias for Christmas, and the red jerseys of my favorite football team. But there is very little red in my wardrobe. Red has always screamed , ” Hey look at me.” And that is generally not my intention. However, I do love your red Wellies. They would add that splash of cheer that a cloudy, rainy day needs. Beautiful pictures in your post today. Love them all. Thank you for sharing.

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:31 pm

The red maples! Yes! Red does draw attention, but it is amazing what positive emotions it stirs up in people. When I wear these red boots, people have to stop me and smile. They are smile magnets. Thanks for sharing and adding to the beauty here, Claire. 🙂

5. Mary
    November 12, 2017 / 9:25 am

I do like red very much in clothing as it flatters my coloring. Have used red in my home decor over the last decade but am now transitioning to a softer, more neutral and calming atmosphere. Perhaps, Michele, you have been a huge influence on my evolving tastes! I am finding that I crave less drama from other people’s lives, less tv, more reading, more reflective time. The urge is growing within me to find a quiet, whitewashed stone cottage somewhere peaceful. Christmas is less red, more ivory and gold. My decor for the season is less fa la la and more focused on hearth and home, and reflection on the peace of mind found in our faith in Christ.

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:40 pm

What gorgeous expressions of lovely you are adding here, Mary! Can I say that I love love your name? What an honor to be named Mary. That whitewashed stone cottage sounds so blissful. Thank you for connecting with my heart this morning. xox

6. November 12, 2017 / 9:36 am

I don’t have much red…but I love a bit of pinky red around the house in pillows and flowers. And I love a nice sunset.

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:42 pm

It’s such an energetic color, isn’t it? I don’t have a single red or pinky red home decor item except for some holiday and Swedish sentimental things that come out for a few weeks. Your sunsets must be legendary. 🙂

7. Joanna
    November 12, 2017 / 9:57 am

I love red! I always have a little in my closet. I wear a lot of monochrome outfits and that red accent in the form of a purse, shoe or scarf adds a little oomph.
    My garden is all things white with green, of course. But, red has creeped in there in some glorious blooms. Not a lot, but a touch.
    My home is all neutrals – whites, creams and taupes. I find it serene. But…. there is a touch of red in some decor items. They are my accents.
    Oh…and my SUV is red. Lol I guess I Really Love Red!

• michele
      Author
      November 12, 2017 / 2:35 pm

You all are selling me on adding more red to my wardrobe. Red is such an appetizing, sensual color that energizes, and I can sense that even in the words others are expressing! Thanks for sharing, Joanna! 🙂

8. Barbara Ann Sandoval
    November 15, 2017 / 11:43 pm

I do love red! Lipstick, nails, boots and the stairway wall in my condo living room. And yes my room is small, but the right shade always makes a statement!

• michele