Around Chicago: Kara Mann {for Goop in Chicago}

Vintage bicycle - Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago - found on Hello Lovely Studio
Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago

Next week I’ll finally get to spend some time

in the home we’re buying to gain a

clearer sense of a design/style direction.

Feeling all kinds of nerves about

so many decisions to make

and stretching the tight budget

I have granted myself.

stairs at new house

For example, the house has an open stringer staircase

you typically see in modern design

paired with cheap looking traditional balusters.

I’m trying to think of it as ‘beachy.’

I could easily blow the whole budget

just re-doing those stairs!

*insert G.W. Bush accent* NAH GUN DO IT.

LAY ON THE DESIGN ADVICE, S’IL VOUS PLAIT.

Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago - found on Hello Lovely Studio
Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago

Back to pleasantville!

While busy/insane with the move, Gwyneth Paltrow

came to town for a Goop pop-up shop thing at

my favorite Chicago hotel, the Waldorf Astoria.

Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago - found on Hello Lovely Studio
Kara Mann for Goop in Chicago

The incredible Kara Mann styled it,

and the mix was thrillingly interesting

with its minimalistic sophistication

and unexpected artworks.

Image result for goop pop up shop chicago 2015

A simple monochromatic shelf installation

like the above could be applied in all sorts of spaces.

There is something so fresh about combining urban

rustic elements with organic ones to achieve a

very modern airy feel, and even though this is a

styled space for GOOP, I am seeing this

Scandi-flavored mix reflected all over

the place in current kitchen design.

Good gracious, I love the tone of this table!

Gwynie and Goop have flown the coop, but

if you find yourself in the Windy City,

you must pop into the Waldorf...where I am

headed soon to visit the Elysian Spa!

1. June 18, 2015 / 9:21 pm

I am trying to look at the B word as an opportunity to become more creative. 😉
    The B word can cramp our style, but it will never get us down!! I know you will do wonderful things in your new home. One step at a time, just like I am in our new home. How lucky are we to experience yet another new journey in our lives? xoxo

• June 19, 2015 / 12:48 am

very fortunate! esp since our men have agreed to go for the ride! xox

2. June 18, 2015 / 10:26 pm

Hi Michele,
    So happy to hear that the new house is soon going to have you inspiring it. I know what ever you do to it , it will be amazing. Just remember to let the house tell you what it wants to become, don't fight its vibe 🙂

Love all that natural washed woods, and shop.
    Looking forward to more of what's to come of your cottage nestled in overgrowth beauty.

Xoxo
    Dore

• June 19, 2015 / 12:49 am

merci, dore. and thx for making our fixer upper sound romantic!

3. June 18, 2015 / 10:28 pm

This is so exciting Michele! It will all come together.. one decision, and then another. Spinning at this point is all part of the process:)

LOVE ALL the goodies that Gwen is showing here. I like her simplistic design esthetic and approach to health and wellness:)

• June 19, 2015 / 12:49 am

oh how i wish i had been able to shop that shop! thanks for the encouragement, friend.

4. June 19, 2015 / 7:11 am

Michele, I'm on your guest list when your cottage home is all remodeled….. I hope you do another video with You dancing about in the new home.
    Xoxo
    Dore

• June 20, 2015 / 3:09 am

ha!
      you are welcome anytime, sweet dore. and the video will be dedicated to you.

5. June 19, 2015 / 8:55 pm

Wow. I just can't take my eyes off that beautifully styled table. The colors. The shapes. loooove it. And as far as those stairs go I can definitely relate. Although yours are no comparison to the gothic style metal thingees with the cheap wood on top –those would be our stair railings–never fail, I slathered mine in white paint and I look away whenever I walk up stairs hahaha Who said denial doesn't work?
    has escrow closed already? sounds like congratulations are in order!
    Leslie

• June 20, 2015 / 3:13 am

the competition is on for ugly stairs, leslie! but does your gothic iron take center stage in your fixer upper? we close in a week so i'm trying to rest up for the long journey. thank you so much, friend.

6. June 20, 2015 / 4:55 am

Love. I live in Chicago and appreciate all the work you lovely designers do!

Jane x

• June 22, 2015 / 2:32 am

it's always a pleasure to hear from a fellow chicago girl! peace to you, blondie.

7. June 20, 2015 / 10:59 am

Wish I could join you for a spa day at the Waldorf! Looks a fun time but mostly, a big congrats on buying a home! How exciting and how fun to start anew….a whole new chapter that you get to write:) I cannot wait to follow along and hear more, best of luck and hope you have a great weekend!

• June 22, 2015 / 2:33 am

i am so ready for the waldorf! just a couple more days and that lemon in the rough will be fully ours. i hope i don't lose my mind, tina! it certainly won't be boring. peace.

8. June 21, 2015 / 9:51 pm

Oh my yes, how gorgeous is this relaxed and serene palate. Michele I just know your new home will be surrounded in rustic appreciation and newly appreciated joys.
    xx,
    Vera

• June 22, 2015 / 2:34 am

thanks for your support, vera. i will try to remember your words as i am toiling outdoors in the jungle of weeds. 🙂