5 Ideas for Peaceful Cottage Style {Sarah Richardson}

Sarah's Cottage Entry

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Ever watched Sarah Richardson in action?

Then you know in addition to being a successful
designer, she generously shares her expertise
and is a devoted teacher to those of us
who need direction.

Sarah's Cottage Bunkie Bedroom with cheerful pink and green

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Sarah Richardson has been a key fixture of the Canadian design world since starting out in 1995, working behind the scenes as a prop stylist and set decorator. By the late 90’s, Sarah realized that she could carve a niche in the emerging world of design TV by sharing her practical, endearing and inspiring approach to décor and design with viewers. Sarah launched her first TV series for HGTV in 2000, Room Service. 17 years later, Sarah is the host, co-creator and co-producer of over 250 episodes of design television that span seven hit HGTV series targeted directly to the needs of a contemporary audience. Room Service, Design Inc., Sarah’s House, Sarah’s Cottage, Sarah’s Rental Cottage, Sarah 101, and Real Potential are a collection of lifestyle television series dedicated to tackling the demands and design challenges of modern living.

Known for her upbeat and easygoing approach to creating elegant and timeless designs for every room in the home, Sarah inspires and empowers viewers by effortlessly sharing her winning style formula. Sarah’s enthusiasm for all aspects of design is infectious, and her ability to engage and inspire viewers has earned her a loyal and dedicated fan base across North America and around the world. Sarah’s programs are seen in over 100 countries worldwide.

Blue walls and bright pink accent colors in this living room design by Sarah Richardson

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Here are 5 tips I learned from her projects
and tips for transforming spaces into relaxed,
peaceful country style retreats.

Small cozy #cottagekitchen with mosaic backsplash and wood celing by Sarah Richardson

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Utilizing quiet colors doesn’t have to feel bland or boring.
I feel relaxed already with the texture and interest of this kitchen.

Sarah Richardson cottage master bedroom with red quilt

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Why not make the bedroom feel as though
you have stepped through the pearly gates of
heaven or at least a charming B&B?

Cottage style lakeside living room with blue and wood ceiling by Sarah Richardson

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

A lakeside living room (or any living room) can harmonize with the outdoors.

Blue clawfoot tub and beautiful tiled wall with arch window by Sarah Richardson

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Omg. Where to start?
A traditional yet modern tub can steal the show in a guest bath.
And what a statement beautiful blue tile can make!

Sarah's Farm, Paisley Acres - Living Room

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

Peaceful in the country can definitely have hints of rock and roll.
This great room uses pops of bold color but still feels restful.

Sarah Richardson Design - Starlight Farm - Living Room

Tranquil Decor Inspiration: Peaceful Country Cottage Style Retreat

How bout you…
A little bit country? A little bit rocknroll?
Which is it?

Need more Sarah?

No prob…check out this lovely!

~michele

1. January 15, 2014 / 6:43 pm

I probably tend to be a little bit country. Love SR. One of my favorites. The first image and the bathrooms really caught my fancy!!
    Kathysue

2. January 15, 2014 / 7:30 pm

I love the way she is able to mix the old with the new so effortlessly.

3. January 15, 2014 / 8:14 pm

I think I am a mix of both with a little bit opera thrown in – LOL if that is at all possible!! I love Sarah, she is truly a nice person and she has such simple elegant style!

4. January 15, 2014 / 8:33 pm

I love these images, they've got me dreaming. And I've just been to all the links too. Thanks for sharing these Michele. I'm in the process of collecting inspiration for my next place.

• January 16, 2014 / 1:57 am

i'm collecting too. in fact, i'm forever collecting even when i'm settled!

5. January 15, 2014 / 10:21 pm

Love all these beautiful spaces BUT not as much as the makeover on your blog!!! Looking great pretty lady! I do love her style and look…and I think I am a bit of both, I like a little bit of it all!

• January 16, 2014 / 1:58 am

merci, tina! i know i could've weaned my readers from those ballet slippers, but aint nobody got time for that!

6. January 15, 2014 / 11:33 pm

Ok….I'm officially in love with the kitchen, the mudroom, and that fabulous bath with the little blue chippy stool! Sarah's style is just so beautiful! Love it! Thanks for sharing all of this inspiration, Michele! ♥

xoxo laurie

• January 16, 2014 / 1:58 am

i bet you could make that stool and sell a million of em, laurie!

7. January 16, 2014 / 1:11 am

Sarah Richardson…I watched her when she first started on HGTV. You know, Canada is where it's "at"..in .the design field. Thank goodness for Sarah and Candace. Since we now live in a log cabin…guess I'm rustic. franki

• January 16, 2014 / 1:59 am

rustic is such a great blend of country and rocknroll. lucky you!

8. January 16, 2014 / 1:46 am

Hi, Michele! Sarah Richardson has got to be my all-time favorite designer. I've missed seeing her shows lately so I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting her work through your posts. I'm always inspired with her mix of fabrics and furniture…old and new. Thanks so much for sharing her with us.
    You kind of look like the cat who caught the canary in your spa day pic! 🙂 Good for you Girl!

• January 16, 2014 / 2:01 am

hahaha. i am quite skilled at that cat expression. hmmmmmm. i miss her too. she is my fav to watch on TV because of her humility and willingness to instruct rather than throw together a show that's more about her/personality/drama. ya know?

9. January 16, 2014 / 1:48 am

Both country and rock and roll, please, in equal shares. I love this house! The kitchen ceiling has to be my very favorite. How I would love ceilings like that. And the mudroom. And the modern tub. Thanks for the inspiration, Michele. XOXO

• January 16, 2014 / 2:02 am

i'm not even sure where i am on the spectrum, but i think it might be toward the country end even though i can't listen to country music. but it's got to be balanced with r n r.

10. January 16, 2014 / 2:09 am

LOVE it all!!!
    And how cute are you,
    sitting there at the Waldorf?!

Thanks for all of the links.
    Pinning as we speak….

xo Suzanne

11. January 16, 2014 / 11:24 pm

Gorgeous! I had to go back and check the links. The London flat is beautiful too .. but these one is my favorite. That mudroom.. my dream someday! and of course the kitchen is stunning. As my husband and I downsize.. can't believe I said that.. we are considering building or remodeling a smaller place. I've got lots of inspiration here and I love her work. thanks Michele! I hope you are enjoying your week. xxL

• January 16, 2014 / 11:51 pm

i know! that mudroom! we need to start a club for emptynesting downsizers, yes? we are also in the beginning stages of downsizing. we will either build a small cottage or buy a condo and re-do everything inside. we don't have a housekeeper, and i have decided i get a better burn and workout in the gym than from dusting. 🙂