Cottage Style Home Decor Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Charming blue and green dining area and kitchen in pine paneled cottage by Sarah Richardson

So much to learn from
Sarah Richardson’s casually elegant
designed lakehouse.

Sarah has been a key fixture of the Canadian design world since starting out in 1995, working behind the scenes as a prop stylist and set decorator. By the late 90’s, Sarah realized that she could carve a niche in the emerging world of design TV by sharing her practical, endearing and inspiring approach to décor and design with viewers. Sarah launched her first TV series for HGTV in 2000, Room Service. 17 years later, Sarah is the host, co-creator and co-producer of over 250 episodes of design television that span seven hit HGTV series targeted directly to the needs of a contemporary audience. Room Service, Design Inc., Sarah’s House, Sarah’s Cottage, Sarah’s Rental Cottage, Sarah 101, and Real Potential are a collection of lifestyle television series dedicated to tackling the demands and design challenges of modern living.

Known for her upbeat and easygoing approach to creating elegant and timeless designs for every room in the home, Sarah inspires and empowers viewers by effortlessly sharing her winning style formula. Sarah’s enthusiasm for all aspects of design is infectious, and her ability to engage and inspire viewers has earned her a loyal and dedicated fan base across North America and around the world. Sarah’s programs are seen in over 100 countries worldwide.

Charming dining area with wing chairs, farm table, and stone fireplace

Sarah designed this
packed to the gills with lovely
gem of a place on the water,
and here are a few inspiring elements
to steal from the project.
You may remember I have a little
reno going on at the moment
so the inspiration is not
wasted on me.

Blue and green tones in a rustic farmhouse style kitchen with knotty pine ceiling

Cottage Style Interior Design Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Reclaimed antique wood combined with new.

Cottage style kitchen with charming vintage style Groceries sign and pine paneling

Cottage Style Interior Design Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Vintage signs and serveware.

Blue and white great room overlooking water with windows

The glow of candlelight.

Gorgeous club chair layered with blue stripe and animal print cushions

Blue and white.

Blue and white decor in a lakeside sun room with pine paneling

5. & 6.
Places to put up your bare feet, and
GRAPHIC prints for a dose of happy.

Cream upholstered chaise with blue stripe pillow in knotty pine paneled lakehouse

Fresh flowers.

Charming conversational area with four club chairs and knotty pine paneling in lakehouse

Cottage Style Interior Design Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Areas designed for intimate conversation.

Cheery green in a luxurious cottage style bathroom in a lakehouse

Cottage Style Interior Design Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Luxurious fixtures mixed with humble.

Glass shower surround and vanity with Venetian mirror above

10.
Modern lighting.

Cozy comfy whitewashed knotty pine paneling in a lakehouse bedroom by Sarah Richardson

Cottage Style Interior Design Inspiration: Lakehouse by Sarah Richardson

Have a favorite element of
lakehouse lovely or a reaction
to her design?

~michele

1. September 28, 2011 / 1:08 am

My reaction – WOW! I'm speechless! That view of the lake is unbelievable. It's all gorgeous!

2. September 28, 2011 / 1:26 am

What a lovely house. It is put together so perfectly. The rooms flow beautifully and it is light and airy and warm and cozi at the same time. Love it! Blessings, Wanda

3. September 28, 2011 / 2:10 am

I LOVE Sarah & this is the prettiest work she's done (at least it's totally MY taste) 🙂

4. September 28, 2011 / 6:15 pm

Ohhh, i just want to dive into one of those chairs and gaze at the water. It all looks wonderful…

Cindy

5. September 28, 2011 / 10:40 pm

May I move in please? I would be quite at home there with those views curled up on front of the fire. What a wonderful home!

6. September 29, 2011 / 9:52 am

Cute kitchen there! Would've been perfect for my latest post.

Excited to see progress photos of zee basement!

Meera xx

7. September 29, 2011 / 1:41 pm

Sarah is my favorite Canadian designer and this is my dream cottage! Do I have to say more? 🙂

Have a great day, sweet M!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

8. September 29, 2011 / 3:09 pm

Love her beach house. The mix of fabrics and the colors she chose are wonderful. I could move right in.

9. September 29, 2011 / 3:55 pm

Hands down. I love everything about it. Look at those blues and greens, its mesmerizing. Best part is it came in such a great time. There is a chair makeover in lieu 🙂

10. September 29, 2011 / 4:16 pm

Love Sarah, love this house! Any idea what the kitchen backsplash is? Great post : )

11. September 29, 2011 / 10:10 pm

*sigh*……I just love her lakehouse so many awesome things about it. I adore the conversation area, what a perfect spot for wine and chit chat on a cool autumn night. 🙂

12. September 29, 2011 / 11:06 pm

Sarah Richardson is one of my favorite designers. I have followed her career ever since her first TV show "Room Service." Her style is impeccable.

I believe this is the cottage her husband owned for years and she recently renovated. All supplies, furniture, etc. had to be brought out there by boat.
    it turned out beautifully and that setting is sublime.
    Best…Victoria

13. September 30, 2011 / 2:43 am

yep. only reachable by boat, and she shared every misstep and challenge on the show that chronicled this which i absolutely loved!

14. October 1, 2011 / 3:34 am

Sarah's Georgian Bay island cottage is one of my favourite makeovers from past seasons too. I think it is really cool that they created the 'storm room' to watch the storms blow in (the sitting room with the great neutrals and blues and lots of windows and doors.) What a huge project to tackle while she was pregant too.

15. October 1, 2011 / 8:18 pm

oooh i forgot she WAS pregnant during this project! and they had to get there by boat!

incredible.

16. October 3, 2011 / 4:29 pm

I have found the inspiration for my living room! I love this look! Thank you so much for sharing it at MMS's! My readers would love to meet you. Stop by and share at our Monday Linky Parties! I am so excited to browse around your site! Love, your new follower…..Me! http://www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

17. October 17, 2011 / 2:26 am

Serene….calming….whimisical…. and just plain beautiful! 🙂

xoxo laurie