Around Chicago: David Bowie IS {Personal Reflections}

If you have the opportunity to visit Chicago before Jan. 4,
consider checking out the DAVID BOWIE IS exhibit
at the Museum of Contemporary Art.

(above and below:

My friends and I couldn’t resist goofy posing with

these huge photos of Bowie.)

Bowie song titles welcome you into the museum

Near the museum’s entrance is the Art Plaza where
Yinka Shonibare’s installation includes three
Wind Sculptures.

Nearly 20 feet high, each sculpture captures the movement
of a billowing bolt of fabric and was inspired
by the sails of ships whose patterns derived
from Dutch wax fabrics.

I knew David Bowie was a chameleon and a busy artist,
but I was blown away by the breadth of his creativity.

via

Photography is not allowed inside the exhibit so I surfed
for some of my favorite highlights…my absolute favorite
photo of Bowie is this mug shot…just so dapper, and
that profile killlllllls me.

via

The Alexander McQueen designed stagewear is insane.

via

More than 400 objects, most from the David Bowie Archive—including handwritten lyrics, original costumes, photography, set designs, album artwork, and rare performance material from the past five decades—are brought together for the first time.

via

Can you imagine feeling fierce in this knit onesie?

FILE - A painting by David Bowie is set up for the the David Bowie exhibition in Berlin, Germany, May 14, 2014.
via

I loved this piece by Bowie.
He painted it in 1979 in Berlin.

The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago is the only
place to see DAVID BOWIE IS in the USA,
but another source for your artful Bowie fix
is this book: Bowie: Five Sessions
featuring the work of legendary photographer
Brian Duffy I recommend:

Duffy Bowie: Five Sessions
(ACC Editions, 2014)

Duffy’s most famous photograph dates from the 1970’s and is the iconic and revolutionary cover of David Bowie’s album Aladdin Sane, a shot that has been referred to as the Mona Lisa of pop. The photographer and the rock star collaborated on four other projects: Ziggy Stardust, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and Lodger. They worked together during the pivotal years of Bowie’s career; when the king of glam was assuming and discarding extraordinary personas, Duffy was capturing them all.

p.s.
NOPE.
Not telling what I whispered to Ziggy.

1. October 14, 2014 / 2:26 am

This Jean Jeannie loves your post! Especially intrigued by your interactive art installations….can't wait to get down there to see it.

2. October 14, 2014 / 2:36 am

i will meet you there and we'll shoot you with the thin white duke. 🙂

3. October 15, 2014 / 9:23 am

The blog is looking gorgeous! Love the new and improved changes…..LOVE DB! I was such a huge huge fan in fact didnt' you know I was going to marry him? Yep when i was 17, that my plan…I was going to become "THE" Mrs. Bowie! He is an icon, period.

• October 15, 2014 / 9:58 pm

you'd love the exhibit, tina. if you were going to be mrs. bowie, i bet you also love the mugshot!

4. October 15, 2014 / 2:50 pm

Your new blog design is enchanting! I love the colors and the background and the photo slideshow… all of it! Did you do it yourself??? David Bowie is so cool. I love his androgyny and freaky style… "Hero" is one of my favorite songs too.

Cindy

• October 15, 2014 / 9:59 pm

oh i do love hero! thanks, cindy. i bought the template but created the header (which may change if i design a logo) and slides myself!

5. October 15, 2014 / 7:57 pm

He's such an icon! This China boy's favorite DB song is China Girl 🙂 I'll be singing this all night…..
    xoxo

• October 15, 2014 / 10:00 pm

china girl! yes! brings back memories. btw, just demonstrated my best 80s dance moves at my high school reunion over the weekend.

• October 15, 2014 / 10:01 pm

thanks, loi. still tweaking but the grey and white feel more me already.

• October 15, 2014 / 10:02 pm

there is so much to absorb there–go well rested and give yourself time to browse the awesome giftshop!

6. October 30, 2014 / 4:22 pm

I want to get on a plane to Chicago right now. This looks incredible.
    And the Ziggy Stardust lyrics — priceless!