Personal Reflections: My Journey With BRCA Genetic Mutation

When this post airs, I’ll be in surgery again for

Prophylactic bilateral mastectomy due to

BRCA2 mutation and family history.

In the past 7 months, my mom, sister, and I have

undergone multiple surgeries in conjunction with

breast and ovarian cancers.

We don’t have time to be shy. We’re standing up to cancer.

Thanks so much for all the supportive comments

and emails expressing encouragement and hope.

just before mom’s mastectomy

It wasn’t my idea to be public about our journey,

but my mom and sister felt strongly about it

to raise awareness and support for those

battling feminine cancers and who test

positive for BRCA, so we did…

then Angelina Jolie

did the cause a HUGE favor

by sharing her story.

just before jo’s first surgery

I feel great about taking this next step.

Will I dish/rant/blog in the future about implants?

*AGITATES MAGIC 8-BALL,

a hard sphere girlfriend hopes is

far firmer than her new ta-tas*

Signs point to yes.

Original Abstract Painting on Canvas...ETHEREAL

peaceful paintings in my shop now

Will I continue to create paintings,

artworks, and beautiful pastry?

No doubt.

My faith, my medical team, and my

family make it so much easier to

stand up to cancer and watch

the risk plummet.

For updates on my BRCA2 journey, like

Hello Lovely Studio’s Facebook page.

See you on the other side of breast cancer risk!

1. June 13, 2013 / 11:47 am

Michele…have such a crazy day ahead but if there was one blog I wanted to stop in to visit it was yours. I am thinking of you today and keeping you in my prayers and sending you a giant hug, smiles and many good wishes. I pray that all will go well, and wish you a very speedy recovery.
    Your spirit and ability to see the silver lining in everything is both remarkable and admirable. You are indeed a superwoman in more ways than one.
    Hugs!

2. June 13, 2013 / 12:00 pm

Michele, Keeping you and your mom and sister in my prayers. Thank you for going public with this important heath message for all women. I pray that the other side of cancer offer's you a long and happy and healthy life full of God's best blessings! I will continue to pray for you and the girls in your family.
    You are very very brave and beautiful… inside and out!

3. June 13, 2013 / 12:21 pm

Dear Michelle,
    Wishing you love and all good wishes today–know that I am thinking of you and your family! Here's to a happy and healthy year ahead for you-xo Barbara

4. June 13, 2013 / 12:25 pm

My best friend died from breast and ovarian cancer. Her daughter tested positive and after significant and many thoughtful moments, she choose to undergo a hysterectomy and then bilateral mastectomy with implants. BTW, she loves her new figure. She was only 32 when going through this with a new little baby girl. I am so proud of her, she will be around for those 4 lovely children and us. Much love to you and family. Thank you for sharing with us. Di

5. June 13, 2013 / 12:44 pm

From one breast cancer survior gal to the three of you….Good for you for STANDING UP AND FIGHTING!!!!! My prayers are with each of you. May God heal your cancer, and may you go into the future with courage and joy.

6. June 13, 2013 / 1:46 pm

This is my first comment to your blog but just wanted to say how brave you are and thank you for sharing your journey. Wishing you the very best and speedy recovery!

7. June 13, 2013 / 3:11 pm

Got fingers crossed and toes and eyes and everything else I can cross for you. Best of luck and I'll be anxiously awaiting your post-op post. I'm not a very religious or even very spiritual girl but am sending you thoughts of a golden, healing light to help speed your recovery. 🙂

8. June 13, 2013 / 3:26 pm

You're brave and fabulous!
    Big hugs and prayers.
    Love Z xx

9. June 13, 2013 / 4:19 pm

I´ll have you in my thoughts sweet lady!

10. June 13, 2013 / 4:41 pm

Sending you and your family my prayers.. I know God is there in your room.
    Keep us posted whenever you can.
    hugs,
    Leslie

11. June 13, 2013 / 8:58 pm

I'm praying for you and will keep praying for you and your family…..for all women. We have to take our health and healthcare seriously and fight!!

Cynthia

12. June 13, 2013 / 9:33 pm

I admire your strength and curage to speek about it. Wish you all the luck and sending you a big and warm hug.

13. June 13, 2013 / 11:33 pm

Standing right behind you sister! And I am here to brush up any wilted whiskers.

Love to you always.

Mon

14. June 13, 2013 / 11:38 pm

Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

15. June 14, 2013 / 3:56 pm

My heart is breaking for you ladies…and your bravery is overwhelming. Keep up the good fight and blessings to you for sharing your journey(s).

16. June 14, 2013 / 6:51 pm

I send you hugs and much love !
    My mother had cancer and it's terrible.

XX
    Anci

17. June 14, 2013 / 8:50 pm

Your decision makes so much sense. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery. All the best, Michele

18. June 15, 2013 / 12:40 am

i saw a t-shirt one time that said "yes, i have fake boobs. the real ones tried to kill me"….a sense of humor sometimes helps.
    i am sending you prayers, light, love and healing vibes.
    erin
    xxoo

19. June 15, 2013 / 8:09 am

Wishing you all the best. You may be interested to have a look at the blog alifelaidbare.com

20. June 17, 2013 / 11:21 am

Wishing you and your family peace and grace during these times. Love Sherika

21. June 17, 2013 / 5:40 pm

Going backwards here.,…but standing with you on this journey from a virtual lookout ground. Best thoughts and wishes for you and your family. xo

22. June 20, 2013 / 6:55 pm

You are a brave, beautiful woman, Michele. Wishing you all the best.
    Doreen

23. June 24, 2013 / 8:55 pm

I'm catching up from being out of the country. Absolutely thankful to know the results before reading this post. So proud of you, Michele! x Loi

24. August 3, 2013 / 1:34 pm

Last month i've had surgery for the 8th time, hoping this was the last time. I have BRCA1. my mom is the first woman in our family who survived. al of the women before her died of breast or ovarium cancer. i'm glad (maby the wrong word for now) to read this post. And YES i'm so glad Angelina Jolie came out of this awfull gen of her. So many people asked my why i have a mastectomie while there's no cancer in my breasts…..
    Hope everything went well whith your surgery, and wish you and everybody you love al the best.